Advocate Health Care
Leave of Absence


   expand  |  collapse

What is a leave of absence?

A leave of absence is an extended amount of time away from work that is approved.

Who can take a leave of absence?
  Associates who have been employed with Advocate Health Care for a minimum of 3 months may request a leave of absence.
How far in advance should I request a leave of absence?
  Associates should request a leave of absence no earlier than 30 days before the anticipated start date.
How do I request a leave of absence?
  • First, notify your manager or supervisor.
  • Next, complete an online request for leave of absence.
  • Log in to, select the Leave of absence icon, then complete and submit a request for a leave of absence. You can log in 24/7 from any computer with internet access.
  • Click here for a User Guide.
Can I use my PTO while on a leave of absence?
  Yes, PTO must be used. Please refer to the Advocate Leave of absence policy SYS-013-010 for usage for each leave type.
What kinds of leaves of absence are available and what are the requirements for each?

Active Duty occurs when a Military Reservist is called up and sworn into the Uniformed Service.

Excused time away from work for an associate’s own injury, illness or exposure as defined by the Illinois Workers' Compensation Act. You must complete an Employee Report of Occupational Injury or Illness Form (HR053).

Excused time away from work for up to 12 workweeks for: birth of, adoption of, or foster care placement of a child. To be eligible, an associate must have worked for Advocate for at least 12 months, and in that previous 12 months worked 1,250 hours.

What pay is provided if I am eligible for the Disability Income Protection Plan?
  See Disability Income Protection Program for more information on pay.
Am I still eligible for my insurance coverage with Advocate Health Care while on a leave of absence?
  Yes, associates are responsible for maintaining their insurance coverage while on a leave of absence.
What is the job guarantee for my position while I am on a leave of absence?

Job guarantee is based on the type of leave of absence. Associates eligible for the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or Victims’ Economic Security and Safety Act (VESSA) have up to a 12 week job guarantee. Associates may have up to 26 weeks in a single 12 month period to care for a covered service member with a serious illness or injury.

Associates not eligible for FMLA or VESSA but on Disability or Personal Medical leave of absence will be restored to the same position if they return within 30 calendar days. An extension of this job guarantee may be made on a case-by-case basis. There is no guaranteed reinstatement requirement with a personal leave of absence.

For more information, or if your question is not listed, please view the Disability Income Protection Plan.

What is the Advocate Disability Council?

Disability Council is a group of physicians, nurses and vocational rehabilitation professionals who work together to certify your disability. The council also offers a wide range of services during your disability. They may assist you in the following ways:

  • Help you receive efficient, quality medical treatment
  • Arrange medical services, such as therapy or home health care
  • Suggest Transitional Work work activities to your physician, as appropriate
  • Determine work modifications to help you return to your regular job, and
  • Assess if you need vocational rehabilitation services.
Are there any offsets to the disability benefits?

If you have other sources of income that are payable to you because of your disability, these payments will offset or reduce the disability benefit you receive under the plan. Other sources of income include:

  • Social Security Disability Benefits
  • Social Security retirement benefits
  • Benefits paid under a mandatory state disability law or any similar compulsory benefit act or law
  • Disability income benefits for which you're eligible under any other group insurance plan or any governmental retirement system as a result of your employment with any employer
  • Any income you receive from Transitional Work assignments, and
  • Any damages you recover (less reasonable legal fees and recovery costs) due to an act or omission by a third party, but only to the extent that such damages represent your loss of income.

If you’re paid any recovered damages in a lump sum, the lump sum amount will be prorated over the length of time it would have been paid if you hadn’t received it as a lump sum (or over 60 months if the alternative payment stream can't be determined).

Call the Disability Council at 847.685.1447, 7:30am – 4:30pm, M-F, CT